Friday, March 21, 2008

Our New Home


We signed papers to build a new home in Spanish Fork about two months ago. As the days quickly flew by, my belief it was going to actually turn into reality dissolved. I finally convinced myself last week that something terrible was going to happen, the deal was going to fall through, and I was wasting time trying to clean out cupboards and pack.


The builders broke ground on Monday, put in the footings on Tuesday, and put laid the foundation today. We drove out twice to see what's happening and enjoy our newest adventure.


It's hard to describe my feelings as we walked around the perimeter of our property and explored all the unknown nooks and crannies of the yard. Seeing the forms ready to be poured with cement is so exciting, but my strongest emotions came as I stood in the culdesac and looked around.


When I was a little girl we lived on top of a mountain and down a small dirt road. I remember swinging and singing songs while my neck was craned back as far as I could manage so I could look up at the blue sky above me. The feeling then were feeling of freedom and peace. I felt the same as I looked at our future home. The recent drizzle brought out the scent of freshly cut wood (one of my favorite smells). The sky above was so blue, and the air was so clean. We have no traffic in this area, and we are surrounded by empty alfalfa fields and houses. The streets are extra wide and invite moms to go walking or jogging and feel safe. We saw dozens of children playing in the streets and riding bikes, not worried about passing cars because there aren't any.


One of our new neighbors poked his head over the fence (I told him I'll probably call him Wilson, but his real name is Tony). Another came over to discuss plans for future fences, property lines, and fishing. Matt's going to like him!


Overall, it was a peaceful, surreal afternoon that I know I won't soon forget. Changes like this are so big, and knowing we are moving to such a peaceful, happy neighborhood is so exciting. We lasted 5 years in Orem, but my soul's ready for a smaller town.


I'm posting pictures of the finished house, and will probably post many, many more pictures before we are ready to move.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Having that peace is just essential - then, even when things go wrong, there is reassurance that life is going in the right direction. I'm so happy for you guys ... and so happy for us. We are so lucky to have you in our lives!!!!!!!!!

Francis Family said...

Finally you updated your page! I was shocked when I clicked the link and it was different. Your house looks nice! I am so excited for you!!

Introducing. . . Matthew

Introducing. . . Matthew
This picture says it all. Matthew has such twinkly eyes when he's being a tease!