Saturday, September 20, 2008

Just what I needed

The other night I was feeling CRANKY. I'd spent too much time working on preschool stuff so the house was a mess, the kids needed baths, dinner was late, and I had a UFO (unidentifiable foul odor) coming from somewhere in the back of the basement.

As I sat on the couch and sulked at my unfortunate evening (although I knew it was really my fault) Matt suddenly walked in and announced in a cheerful voice that I had four minutes to get my shoes on and meet him in the front yard.

I debated for about thirty seconds whether I was going to listen to him or not, because we all know misery loves company and he was too happy. I finally decided I'd follow him out and complain about the activity if I didn't like it. I made it outside with about 15 seconds to spare.

Matt had two bikes waiting and ready to go. He simply handed me mine and said, "Let's go." We rode straight into the darkness and headed for a trail that runs along the river near our home.

Have you ever ridden a bike at night under the trees? It's a GREAT experience. We narrowly missed some late-night walkers, but other than that we did ok. The moonlight hit us full force every time we came out of the trees. After the darkness, it was blinding! We listened to the crickets, ran over a few unfortunate grasshoppers, and followed the quiet whisper of the river as we slowly wound from one end of the trail to the other.

By the time we returned home and headed for the hot tub to soak and watch the stars, I realized my bad mood was gone, and I was able to fall asleep with a smile.

Thanks, Matt! It was just what I needed.

1 comment:

Francis Family said...

Heather...I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!! A new post! You just made my day. What a great guy Matt is. Sounds like fun riding out in the darkness after a lousy day.

Introducing. . . Matthew

Introducing. . . Matthew
This picture says it all. Matthew has such twinkly eyes when he's being a tease!